Hines Constructions, Griffith City Council and Altus Group worked together in designing a new multi-purpose regional sports complex and enhancing the existing infrastructure to establish a Regional Sports Hub at Westend Oval, Griffith.
The project involved the construction of the following;
- Multi-use Stadium – featuring 5 multi use courts containing basketball, netball, volleyball and hockey. A 530 seat retractable grandstand is provided for spectators. The Stadium also contains Netball & basketball control offices, public toilet facilities, canteen, storerooms and reception.
- Existing Stadium – This had the amenities refurbished to the same standard as the new works as well as the inclusion of accessible facilities and function rooms. All electrical and mechanical services were replaced and upgraded. The roof was replaced including insulation and the externa cladding was painted to compliment the new works
- Grandstand – Includes a 4 tier undercover concrete seating/ Viewing platform for both the netball area to the east and the track and hockey field to the west. Athletics control room, kiosk, public toilet facilities and storerooms are provided under the grandstand
- 7 netball courts including quarter size warm up court and half size warm up outdoor basketball court.
- World Athletics class 2 athletics running track, Shotput, long jump, pole vaulting and high jump facility, Synthetic water hockey pitch, grass field hockey pitch, Hammer throw/Discus and Javelin facilities.
- A 52 space Car park with accessible parking, landscaping and perimeter foot paths completed the external works
The Prime Minster of Australia, Anthony Albanese officially opened the complex on the 29th October 2022.
It has been said that with the Olympics coming to Brisbane in 2032 this facility will be the host of different overseas teams in their games prep!
The complex is the third successfully completed project that Hines Constructions has delivered for the Griffith City Council.